Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Joy!


“Joy” is the only word I can use to describe my ordination as a transitional deacon for the Archdiocese of Louisville on April 28. Part of that joy certainly was a result of having worked for and attained a milestone along what sometimes has seemed a long tour of duty as a seminarian. And, yes, the knowledge that being a deacon afforded a unique opportunity to serve the People of God was a part of that same joyfulness. However, it was in the faces---the smiles and the tears as well as the nods and winks of encouragement---of those who have supported this journey that a true sense of joy for yours truly was engendered. Words somehow seem inadequate in conveying my deep appreciation to all those who participated---both in person and in spirit---in the service as well as the celebration which occurred on the 28th of April. Stated simply: the Lord be with you!

The conclusion of the seminary year and ordination as a deacon brings yet another chance to serve: this time with Holy Trinity parish in east Louisville. Holy Trinity is a wonderfully vibrant parish with over 4,200 parishioners, a school which serves over 700 (K-8), and a pastor who is a role model and mentor, Father Mark Spalding. I began my work on May 15 and between already-scheduled opportunities to preach, to assist at Mass and to work with a number of meaningful special projects. I am confident that this will be a full and service-filled summer.

The beginning of my assignment as a transitional deacon with Holy Trinity also marks the conclusion of my particular task as a blogger for the Archdiocese of Louisville’s Vocation Office site. It has been a privilege for me to share some of my seminarian experiences with you over these past five months. After my Holy Trinity parish assignment, I will be returning to Sacred Heart School of Theology for my final semester of studies which should provide additional fodder for reflection and musings.

As I pass the blogging baton to another of my diocesan brothers, I am mindful of the words of St. Francis: proclaim the Gospel; use words, if necessary.

Remaining in His Word,

I am,

Deacon Steven Henriksen

(Photo of Steve courtesy of Marnie McAllister, THE RECORD)


No comments: