Monday, September 17, 2012

Meet Our Fall Blogger...


"But be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves." (James 1:22)

The first step in any adventure is to receive the necessary instructions that ensure your trip will be safe, exciting, and fun.  St. James reminds us that the Lord offers us the necessary instructions for our life adventure.  But, we can never just be satisfied with receiving the instructions.  The Lord expects us to take the graciously given gifts and become who God intended for our lives. "Behold what you are, become what you receive." (St. Augustine)

My name is Jason Harris, seminarian for our Archdiocese of Louisville.  I am privileged to be the seminarian author of the blog for this semester. Thanks for following along on my journey as I begin 2nd Theology (which is my 4th year of Seminary school).  This year has already gotten off to a remarkably fast start.  It is truly amazing how God continues to work in each of our lives, so long as we slow down a second to see his awesome work. I hope to share some of His awesome work in my life with you this semester.

As I mentioned earlier, I am beginning my fourth year of Theology Study at the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC.  Before entering seminary, I taught Henry County (Kentucky) middle schools students in the areas of math and science for nine years.  I cherish the experience of teaching my students, living and growing with them. Now, I watch as they start families and careers which make me continue to marvel at the work of God.

 I am originally from Grandview Indiana, which is a small town near Owensboro (Kentucky). My parents, Jim and Judith Harris, along with my Grandmother Bernice and her husband Red, still reside in my hometown. My sister, Jill, now lives in Louisville and just purchased a new house in the Highlands.

My home parishes are the Church of the Annunciation in Shelbyville, Kentucky and St. John Chrysostom in Eminence, Kentucky.  The rebirth of my Catholic faith started there amongst my parish families.  My faith journey has also been nurtured by my other parish families of St. Michael (Jeffersontown), Immaculate Heart of Mary, and Christ the King (Louisville).

 I look forward to sharing with you throughout the semester.  I have always wanted to be a journal writer and recording my thoughts over an extended period of time.  But, I have never persisted.  I am so anxious to look back at Christmas time and see this semester's journey in its entirety.

May the peace and love of Christ be with you and your families.

Peace in Christ,
Jason Harris

No comments: