Monday, November 26, 2012

Desires

For Thanksgiving, I traveled to South Carolina to spend the holiday with them. I met six of my 3rd cousins for the first time. I had a great time visiting with them and eating two (2) Thanksgiving dinners!

On the journey to their house, I listened to a couple of homilies of Monsignor Charles Pope. Father Pope is the pastor of Holy Comforter-St Cyprian about 10 blocks east of the Capitol Building.

His homily entitled "Give me Jesus" was one that I would like to share with you. Here is the link to his entire homily, if my summary leaves you HUNGRY:

http://frpope.com/audio/18%20B%202012.mp3

The main thrust of the homily is our human desires. Each one of us has many desires for many things. Most of these desires are necessary for our own survival. In fact, Fr. Pope points out that all of our desires are good. But, here comes the unfortunate news.......our desires are misguided because of sin.

The example that stuck with me so much was the one for hunger. Every time that we eat, that hunger comes back again; and usually that hunger comes back very quickly Even when I ate two Thanksgiving dinners and three rounds of dessert, the hunger did return. Our hunger is never satisfied with anything on Earth.

"Our desires are never satisfied; they are limitless."

"Never be satisfied with our earthly existence."

Our hunger for food, material things, clothing, electronics, automobiles, etc will never be satisfied. There is only One that can satisfy and even overwhelm our human desires with Heavenly Blessings. May God continue to bless you and your family.





No comments: